Historical Dates

1871 – Homestead Act was enacted

  • Any male 18 years or older or a widow who was the sole head of the family could apply to purchase a homestead for $10.00

1884 – Dominion Land Survey System divided the land into townships, and sections

1902 – 1906 – Great influx of settlers, especially in 1905

1904 – First grocery store in the area, located in Birch Hills

1905 – Saskatchewan became a province

1905 – Canadian National Railway arrived

1906 – Blacksmith shop, lumber yard and harness shop

1906 – First drugstore and practice of medicine opened by Dr. G.N. Giles

1906 – First grain buyer and elevator built to store bought grain

1908 – Birch Hills Echo was the newspaper for the area which was published in Kinistino

1908 – Creamery was built, it was the largest in all of Saskatchewan and was under government supervision.  The Creamery won first prize in 1909 for butter in the Regina Fall Fair.

1909 – Wheat averaged 42.5 bushels/acre, oats averaged 90 bushels/acre

1909 – Quarter south of town sold for $4,000.00

1909 – J.H. Snyder hired as constable

1910 – Bank of Ottawa opened

1912 – R.M of Birch Hills No. 460 was formed

  • First Reeve – J. Sutcliffe
  • First Secretary/Treasurer – J.R. Taylor
  • Taxes were levied at 5 cents per acre
  • Farmers had option of working to pay their taxes at 12 ½ cents/hour
  • Population estimated to be 1,081 of which 309 were farmers

1912 – The beginning of the Winton Park Rural Telephone Company was developed

1913 – Jail was constructed

1914 – Birch Hills Gazette was published in Birch Hills by Harry Ash

1916 – Bank of Commerce opened

1917 – Agricultural Society was formed

1918 – First Fire Chief Bill Blackadder was appointed

1919 – Earl Lumley was the first pharmacist in the area

1924 – High School education was available, J.H. Frazer was the first high school principal in Birch Hills

1927 – Closed in skating rink was built

1934 – Puffed Wheat Plant was in operation on 2nd Street in Birch Hills

1937 – R.M. purchased its first grader for $212.00

1943 – Baby Beef Club (Birch Hills 4H Calf Club) was organized

1947 – John R. Taylor retired as secretary/treasurer of R.M. after 35 years of service

1947 – New England Memorial Hall was built and in 1976 it was destroyed by fire

1951 – Birch Hills Memorial Union Hospital was opened

1954 – Golf course was opened

1961 – Four sheet curling rink was opened

1983 – Birchview Nursing Home was opened with 30 beds available

Leave a Reply